Monday, May 02, 2005

Why I listen to Marilyn Manson

Somebody at school asked me why I listened to Marilyn Manson. In response, I wrote them an email and completely won them over, so I'm reposting it for your benefit: "I like his philosophy of life. He's an artist (he actually studied under a fairly famous french artist for several years and he sells paintings off of his website), a musician, a writor, a composer, and, to some extent, an actor. Everything he does is intended to create and to send a message (Even the name Marilyn Manson are the combination of Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson... a diva and a cult leader). He designs all of his outfits himself and he sends a message by mixing different styles and time periods of dress. I think he's the ideal artist. Somebody who consider's themselves a work or art... to be crafted and manipulated into an ideal image of one's own making. I also think his message is interesting, philosophically. He's an existentialist hero. Instead of adopting the moral principals of a system or an authority... he has created his own beliefs about the way he should live his life... and he doesn't push his beliefs on others. I think that's commendable. He's also incredibly intelligent. That about sums it up. I honestly didn't listen to his music until I studied philosophy in college.. and then read of a few of his interviews. -Aaron Some Key MM interview quotes: "I've never been or never will be a Satan Worshipper, or someone who worships the Devil." "I found that an idea like God exists more in art in the way you express your soul, and religion kind of warps that. The Big Brother negative aspect of God that I talked about on Antichrist Superstar I think exists more in people’s blind faith in television and being a consumer. And that’s just a part of the program, the machine. That is just as bad or worse than religion. Religion is just the tip of the iceberg." "I'm not against God. I'm against the Misuse of God." "I have an over-active imagination, I can't write a song without thinking about a video or a story or a character or a painting, whatever it might be. I don't ever think on only one level." "I'm at a point in my life right now, where I've actually been able to, in a way, fulfil the American Dream and be whatever I wanted to be. So I can die a happy man. If the word happy and my name can be used in the same sentence." Posted by Hello

4 Comments:

At 5/10/2005 09:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you included it in your e-mail, but I thought it was interesting that nowhere did you say that you actually liked his music. God, I'm such a bitch.

-Ed

 
At 5/13/2005 04:18:00 PM, Blogger Nippons Boy said...

Well, that's because I don't think his music is necessarily that good. I still listen to it though... for the message behind the music.

-Aaron

 
At 5/19/2005 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Well, you know, there's a lot of good music out there that more than likely carries the same message, right?

 
At 6/18/2005 12:19:00 PM, Blogger Nippons Boy said...

Who? Who actually lives what they preach?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?