Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Desperation is the worst cologne

Apparently several mid-america cities are giving away free land and tax breaks to people interested in living in a small town environment. The catch is that you'll probably have to build your own house once you're there unless you want to find an abandoned one and restore it.

"In some of these towns, a commute to work is four minutes; crime is all but nonexistent, at night you half-believe you can look toward the soundless sky and see the outskirts of heaven. And isolation, in our age of 500 channels, of easy Internet access and e-mail, does not mean the same thing it did in generations past."
Yeah, I have two and a half words for you: dial-up modem. Good luck finding broadband in a town the size of your highschool. Seriously though, what the hell do people do in towns that small? I mean, if my two favorite things in the world were drinking and playing pool... I'd be all for it. As it stands, my two things in the world are drinking and cute girls (I hate pool)... and you can't find a large quantity of cute girls in small towns... at least this is what I have been led to believe. Now, if somebody were to come along and prove me wrong....

2 Comments:

At 3/03/2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger shannon said...

I'm seriously sorry that you hate pool. that is quite depressing. what about darts? i'll forgive you pool if you can put up with darts.

and seriously, its true that there is a limited number of cute girls in small towns, say about 8 that are all cheerleaders, and thus, all attached to the 8 star basketball/football/baseball players (because really, everyone in a small town plays every sport).

and argh, coming from a not-even-that-small-a-town and being stuck on dial up for ages...you'll never catch me in anyplace with out broadband...except for my current apartment. because my roommate is too poor to pitch in. so i have to do all my blogging at work. while i'm being paid. which, when you think about it, isn't all that bad. excpet that well, i can't chat or do anything at home. where i'd much rather be than work.

i'm done with my random thoughts on your blog. maybe you've even inspired me to begin blogging a touch more regularly... maybeshanananannananon

 
At 3/05/2005 07:38:00 AM, Anonymous abbi said...

sooooooooo...you two broadbanders can't figure out what us small-town peeps do? really, i would have thought with your high speed internet access, you could have googled and quickly found the answer. yes, though many of us are slow and behind in smalltown, usa, there are a few of us who share your love and adoration for the virtual world. so what do we do in order to have our internet kicks when we want it as fast we want it? satellite, my friends. hooked up and connected 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. no wonder the internet is my drug of choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?