Wednesday, March 02, 2005

curiouser and curiouser....

I read an article with a particularly interesting quote:

"Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs."
I find this interesting on many levels. The internet makes information easily accessable... like fast food. Is this bad? Are we depriving ourselves of Iron-chef style infromation by relying so heavily on digital information? Personally, I think that some people out there are trying to improve the internet by putting out some seriously heavy thought-provoking material.... however, you don't usually find this on blogs... you usually find the the summery or block quote referencing the seriously heavy thought-provoking stuff. Secondly, I'm wondering what "complex texts" he is referring to. I find that, unlike some people, I have a poor memory for details. I grasp the main the idea of "complex texts" and, in time, forget the rest. Therefore, in the long run... I get just as much from summaries and key quotes as I do from actually reading an article or other non-fictional work. (Fiction is a whole nother matter). Therefore, blogs are perfect for people like me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?